Friday, July 29, 2005

Debian for AMD64

I have my weekend (or I should say this evening's) project picked out. An (un)official Debian install for AMD64. Sure, I already have a few partitions with Debian-based OS on them, but my Knoppix installation (based on 3.9) has been giving me grief for a while now. It's time for it to go. I was hoping Knoppix 4 on DVD would be out this week but no luck. I don't know how many more weeks it will be before it is ready...

I will use the net install ISO so everything will be up to date "out of the box". The AMD64 version is based on Sarge so it will be nice and fresh. Here are the relevant links:

Update: Friday, July 29, 2005 8:24pm

Well that was just too easy. I've been done and playing with my new Debian install for quite a while now. The only thing I needed to modify was the XF86Config-4 file to add 1280x1024 & 1024x768 options. No sweat. Everything "just works". No suprise there. The only thing that it's missing (and really the one thing I need) is Mondo Rescue. It's not available from apt for AMD64 yet I guess. I'll keep looking maybe it's in "testing" or something...

No comments: