Sunday, November 27, 2005

Gone In A Crash

Oh how I despise it! Can I just say it?

I spent close to nearly an hour recording stuff in Audacity, only to have the application crash when I hit the stop button. When a riff hits me, I have to get Audacity (or another recording application) started ASAP. So there I am clicking the mouse while I am still playing. Have to, or I lose the feel of the riff forever...

That's how it started tonight. I was practicing a piece at 220bpm until I couldn't keep up with the pace anymore. I quit that piece and started noodling around to see what I would come up with tonight. I hit on something that caught my ear on the A string near the 12th fret. Quick! To Audacity with you. Of course the PC happened to be booted in Windows 2000 at the time. [sigh]

Anyway, I got the riff down to some degree but the feel wasn't exactly right so I kept playing... and playing... and playing. When I was done and clicked stop, it was instantly and forever gone. Nothing to show for it. Nothing at all...

Application error, blah blah blah...

I should have known...

What a waste!

I should just learn to boot up in Linux when I start practicing and start the recording application from the start. That way I won't end up losing inspriation when it strikes. Not that I haven't had my troubles in Linux before (it's usually user error), however troubles are much more rare when recording in Linux than with the other OS mentioned above...

I think people complain too much in blogs. I need to cut it out. I much prefer to see positive posts and useful/usable information. My rant pages get little notice. My computer fixes pages get all the attention. LOL

Tags:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

file length tooooooo long for windows?

chronicon said...

file length tooooooo long for windows?

Could be. I don't really know. Audacity usually runs fine on the AMD64. Of course the latency under Windows 2000 is so bad that multi-tracking is out of the question. I monitor my playing through headphones into my effects board. If I tried to monitor it through the PC speakers I get about a half second delay. Horrible!

Under Linux with a low-latency/prempt kernel & ALSA+jack running the show, it's not an issue.

I do get xruns when recording in Linux and I can hear them as a weird sort of distortion, but it doesn't affect the recording at all. Play back and it sounds just fine.

I'm sure the SB card I am using for playback is part of the problem. The RME card that the guitar board feeds via s/pdif is part of the solution! :-)

chronicon said...

Yikes! Do you still remember it? I've even used my digital cam to capture some stuff. It's raw, but it shows me playing and I can see and hear what I am doing. It's also a riot for home videos.

I should just break down and see if I can find a tape recorder somewhere or even one of those little digital recorders. Usually it only takes a few seconds of good playing to get the notes and feel of a riff down. I could keep it with me when I am practicing and hit record when the moment is right. Whatever it takes.

I was jamming on a riff tonight on the mini-Squier durning the "Biggest Loser" finally (I thought I would name the song after the show in their honor). When I when to the PC to get it down to digital I had lost the feel. I hate that. It's no big deal once you have it down. But if inspiration strikes me and I don't immediately get it down, all it takes is a few seconds of not playing it and the feel can get lost. :-|

Foofy Mink said...

Nice blogg post