Sunday, November 27, 2005

Gone In A Crash

Oh how I despise it! Can I just say it?

I spent close to nearly an hour recording stuff in Audacity, only to have the application crash when I hit the stop button. When a riff hits me, I have to get Audacity (or another recording application) started ASAP. So there I am clicking the mouse while I am still playing. Have to, or I lose the feel of the riff forever...

That's how it started tonight. I was practicing a piece at 220bpm until I couldn't keep up with the pace anymore. I quit that piece and started noodling around to see what I would come up with tonight. I hit on something that caught my ear on the A string near the 12th fret. Quick! To Audacity with you. Of course the PC happened to be booted in Windows 2000 at the time. [sigh]

Anyway, I got the riff down to some degree but the feel wasn't exactly right so I kept playing... and playing... and playing. When I was done and clicked stop, it was instantly and forever gone. Nothing to show for it. Nothing at all...

Application error, blah blah blah...

I should have known...

What a waste!

I should just learn to boot up in Linux when I start practicing and start the recording application from the start. That way I won't end up losing inspriation when it strikes. Not that I haven't had my troubles in Linux before (it's usually user error), however troubles are much more rare when recording in Linux than with the other OS mentioned above...

I think people complain too much in blogs. I need to cut it out. I much prefer to see positive posts and useful/usable information. My rant pages get little notice. My computer fixes pages get all the attention. LOL

Tags:

4 comments:

linuxrootuser said...

file length tooooooo long for windows?

chronicon said...

file length tooooooo long for windows?

Could be. I don't really know. Audacity usually runs fine on the AMD64. Of course the latency under Windows 2000 is so bad that multi-tracking is out of the question. I monitor my playing through headphones into my effects board. If I tried to monitor it through the PC speakers I get about a half second delay. Horrible!

Under Linux with a low-latency/prempt kernel & ALSA+jack running the show, it's not an issue.

I do get xruns when recording in Linux and I can hear them as a weird sort of distortion, but it doesn't affect the recording at all. Play back and it sounds just fine.

I'm sure the SB card I am using for playback is part of the problem. The RME card that the guitar board feeds via s/pdif is part of the solution! :-)

f3nd3rstr@t said...

Yikes! Do you still remember it? I've even used my digital cam to capture some stuff. It's raw, but it shows me playing and I can see and hear what I am doing. It's also a riot for home videos.

AD

chronicon said...

Yikes! Do you still remember it? I've even used my digital cam to capture some stuff. It's raw, but it shows me playing and I can see and hear what I am doing. It's also a riot for home videos.

I should just break down and see if I can find a tape recorder somewhere or even one of those little digital recorders. Usually it only takes a few seconds of good playing to get the notes and feel of a riff down. I could keep it with me when I am practicing and hit record when the moment is right. Whatever it takes.

I was jamming on a riff tonight on the mini-Squier durning the "Biggest Loser" finally (I thought I would name the song after the show in their honor). When I when to the PC to get it down to digital I had lost the feel. I hate that. It's no big deal once you have it down. But if inspiration strikes me and I don't immediately get it down, all it takes is a few seconds of not playing it and the feel can get lost. :-|