Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Music: October

Early U2...

I Threw A Brick Through A Window

Who said they could make an album? Let alone two (and beyond)? What made them better then the rest? How did they succeed where others had failed? I mean c'mon, by production standards today U2 wouldn't have made it into the lobby of a real studio let alone accomplish what they have over the course of the last 20 (going on 30) years!

I will admit, Boy & October are, for the most part, albums (opps now I am dated huh?) only fans could really appreciate. War? Probably a little more of a breakthrough for them... The clincher has to be Under A Blood Red Sky. I had it practically the moment I heard about it I'm sure. I taped the whole show off of Nickelodeon back in the day. Yeah, that's right, U2: Under A Blood Red Sky broadcasted on Nick or whatever it's called today. Collector's plates commercials and all...

Why was that pivotal? It showed their power and emotion in a live setting to a lot of us who wouldn't have ever been able to see the tours for the first three albums. That was it, if we weren't hooked before we sure were then...

U2 has (obviously) gone through a lot of changes since those early days, no doubt. I finally got to see them live in Austin during the Joshua Tree tour--it was one of the most intense concerts I have ever seen to this day...

Sadly though, I kind of stopped paying attention to them around their Rattle & Hum days. It was too much of a departure for me at the time.

I didn't totally lose interest in them over the years though, and that interest was recently fueled by their appearance on the Conan O'Brien show a month or so ago. They seemed altogether "real" (whatever that means) and the covers (of more recent material) that they played were interesting. Interesting enough in fact for me to purchase their last two releases...

Maybe we've all grown up after all. Maybe they have at the least...

Tag:

No comments: