Thursday, February 16, 2006

Peak Oil Revisited

Slashdot had a big row going yesterday on the question Has World Oil Production Passed Its Peak? and I missed it?! (It was a really late post I guess...)

Kenneth S. Deffeyes surmised that we've gone over the peak of world oil production as of 16 December 2005 in his Current Events "Join us as we watch the crisis unfolding" February 11, 2006 page.

His outlook on the situation is pretty dim, and he ends his notes with, "That's it. I can now refer to the world oil peak in the past tense. My career as a prophet is over. I'm now an historian."

Greeeeeat....

I was sure hoping we would NOT hit peak oil production in my lifetime (selfish as that sounds). I certainly didn't expect it to occur a month after I first came to understand the implications!

No comments: