Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Malmsteen Shred

Part of the whole blog thing (for me) is to post stuff that interests... me! Computer hacks, guitar related stuff, etc. I found this one tonight. I don't know what it is about Yngwie Malmsteen, but people either love him or hate him--most of the time. I fall in somewhere in the middle I suppose: I respect his ability and talent. This video is interesting because it demonstrates a crucial aspect of shredding--economy of motion. He's barely moving his hands yet still playing the fastest runs alive! Check it out...



Arpeggios From Hell

PS I have to wonder if you can really play this stuff without a scalloped neck (not that I could afford one, mind you, still... I wouldn't mind seeing Kirk Hammett studying this piece and going up head-to-head with Mr. M. on this one--on Hammett's own custom (non-scalloped) ESP of course (why else do you have a custom with your name on it, huh?) That would be interesting. G3 kinda interesting, you know? I wouldn't mind springing for a ticket to that...

PPS OK... I am watching Malmsteen at the Denver G3 show (linked above)... I have to admit, as far as pure shred goes, this guy is it... Straight out of the '80s baby and right in your face!

4 comments:

f3nd3rstr@t said...

Yikes! How does he do that?

Anonymous said...

The song in question, "Arpeggios from Hell" can be played on a non-scalloped neck. My friend, who has a crappy Yamaha Pacifica can play the song perfectly. I somehow doubt that a guitar's neck would make that much of a difference if you've been playing as long as someone like Malmsteen has.

chronicon said...

The song in question, "Arpeggios from Hell" can be played on a non-scalloped neck. My friend, who has a crappy Yamaha Pacifica can play the song perfectly. I somehow doubt that a guitar's neck would make that much of a difference if you've been playing as long as someone like Malmsteen has.

I got the tabs for the piece from OLGA. Memorizing the parts doesn't appear too difficult. Playing them at Malmsteen speed is another story. It will be a good practice piece for sure.

I guess my theory on the scalloped neck is that "you play the frets, not the wood". If you have a deft touch I think the runs would be easier on it, like playing a guitar with ultra-low action and super-jumbo frets. Don't know though. I just know Malmsteen has modified a lot of vintage guitar necks and his Fender signature guitar comes with a scalloped neck. I guess there's something there for him. But yeah, I suppose he could shred on just about anything at this point...

f3nd3rstr@t said...

I agree with chronicon. You play the frets, not the wood. For me, low action and jumbo frets allows my to play faster, along with a compound radius neck (Jackson), say, as opposed to my Strat (12" neck radius and medium frets). It reminds me of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." YJM obviously can play what he wants with his scalloped neck. Great for him. Your friend with his crappy Yamaha Pacifica can play the song w/o difficulty. Great for him. It's not what you play but what you play - and I'll add "how" (feeling). Learn the technique and it can be applied to anything. Study the runs of apreggios from YJM and you and do the same.