Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A Partly Rough Day

Generally we hear people categorize their day as being a "good day" or a "bad day". B told me this evening that he was having a "partly rough day." I can understand why...

Wearing the Darth Vader cape and his trusty lightsaber in his belt he was ready to do battle with the dark forces of the Empire (the Vader cape was his Jedi cloak today). That's when he sustained his first "battle wound"--his lightsaber fell out of his belt and landed on his toe. He didn't like that a bit.

As if that wasn't bad enough, his next hurt was incurred by his fellow Jedi Knight, Master J when they were fighting together against the evil Master Dad. J was swinging his lightsaber furiously against me (which he's been told NOT to do on several occasions) and accidentally whacked B in the face. Master B went down and was quite upset for a little while. He recovered with the help of an ice pack soon enough and was back in action, ready for more. Just as he was ready begin his next battle, his buddy (slightly) knocked him in the head again. He said he was fine but I called it. That was it. No more dueling for the rest of the night...

Fine. He and Master Jedi J would go take off on their spaceship in their room. Off they went to the top bunk to make their escape...

Several minutes pass when I hear a 'thunk'... The next thing I know, B is hollering. Not the "Ouch! I got hurt but I'm really ok" holler, this was the "Man! This REALLY hurts!" kind of holler. Trouble. I march in to see what's happened. (I think I knew before I walked through the door.) Sure enough, somehow he'd gotten too close to the ceiling fan and it clocked him in the head (it's not that close, I am not quite sure how he got to it but he did).

I picked him up and got another ice pack. This time he was really not happy, and he got a nice goose egg on the side of his head. I held him with the ice pack and we kept him talking so he wouldn't go to sleep (in case it was really serious)...

As I put him to bed tonight he asked, "why am I always getting hurt today?" I told him I didn't know, but that we need to be careful. We talked about his day and he said he'd had a "partly rough day". I guess that means a partly good day too. Not a bad attitude all things considered.

His brother needs to learn not to flail about wildly with his plastic swords, and B just needs to learn to parry better (even against guys on his own side), that and stay away from ceiling fans (if he ever dares venture to the top bunk again--I don't see that happening in the near future).

No comments: