Thursday, May 18, 2006

Backlash!

I was initially leaning towards 'moderate' on the so-called illegal immigrant issue prior to all of the recent marches and demonstrations. I even sent my US Representative a note stating (more or less) as much. Now that I have taken the opportunity to inform myself on the issues of Reconquista, etc. (which I never really would have been aware of without the marches/demonstrations--thank you) , my opinion or position on the matter has 'hardened' quite a bit (as you may have noticed in previous posts).

I should say, before any accusations fly: I am positively not against anyone of any ethnicity, period. I am positively for the sovereignty of my nation (The United States of America) and it's (legal--as if there was any other kind) citizenry; and, their sovereign (there's that word again) RIGHT to govern themselves. Certainly Mexican Nationals (among all others) would agree, considering their own (extremely strict) immigration policiesHere are key points from the article on Mexico's own policies. Mexico, as a sovereign nation, certainly has the right to implement these laws whether I agree with them or not, here they are:
  • Immigrants and foreign visitors are banned from public political discourse.
  • Immigrants and foreigners are denied certain basic property rights.
  • Immigrants are denied equal employment rights.
  • Immigrants and naturalized citizens will never be treated as real Mexican citizens.
  • Immigrants and naturalized citizens are not to be trusted in public service.
  • Immigrants and naturalized citizens may never become members of the clergy.
  • Private citizens may make citizens arrests of lawbreakers (i.e., illegal immigrants) and hand them to the authorities.
  • Immigrants may be expelled from Mexico for any reason and without due process.
Maybe we should just leave Senator Kennedy's "virtual fence" where it belongs and implement some of the policies of our southern neighbor instead?? Members of Congress, Mr. President, with all due respect: I am not alone on this issue... "Let's Roll."
Updated 19 May 2006: Minor edits for clarity.
Updated 14 Sept 2019: Removed stupid T-Shirt design

No comments: