Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Bust The Rust!

I usually sweat a bit when playing guitar. Corrosion builds up pretty quickly on the strings as a result. Our local luthier pointed us to a product that would help resolve this problem without fear of damage to the finish or fretboard. It's called DeoxIT D5 Power Booster.

The can touts that it "cleans, enhances, lubricates & protects electrical connections (Treatment for All Metal Surfaces)". They should also promote it as a string/fretboard cleaner! This stuff works wonders! A quick spray along the strings, wipe them off and it's amazing! Almost like having a new set of strings, except these are already stretched.

I haven't put a new set of strings on in months. I play pretty intensely nearly every day. It may be related or not, but I also haven't had any of them break on me either.

This stuff is pricey, but a little dab will do you--as they say. I've had the same 5oz can for months. I've used it on all my guitars.

Of course your mileage may vary, but if you haven't tried this stuff, dump those silicon based "products" and get a can of this stuff. It's the best tip I've gotten on guitar care in ages.

No comments: