Monday, August 28, 2006

Broke At The Bridge

I have been playing the heck out of the Fender and haven't changed the strings since it came back from the fret-job/set-up. All the credit for the strings lasting so long has to go to Deoxit D5 (which I wrote about previously). There are still no real signs of corrosion on these strings. Granted, they are not as bright-sounding as a brand new pack but they are well broken in, sound great, and play well.

I have been working on some really fast rhythms that have put a lot of stress on the low E. It finally couldn't take it any more and broke at the bridge. Too bad it didn't break at the other end, I could have saved it. Anyway, many thanks to my local luthier for telling me about Deoxit. It's saving me a fortune on strings.

In other news, Brad over at Brad Sucks recently blogged about a Windows DAW application called REAPER (Rapid Environment for Audio Prototyping and Efficient Recording). This thing is amazing! The executable weighs in at barely over 1MB but it packs a punch that will knock the lights out of many other similar products out today. It's powerful, easy to use, flexible, feature-rich, customizable and should appeal to both novice and seasoned digital recording enthusiasts. It's a fully-functional shareware application with no built-in timeout nonsense. $40 for the non-commercial user, $200 for commercial use. IMO, this is a bargain for either usage based on my experiences with it.

Try it, you'll like it!

Tags:

No comments: